Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

On 10/3/2015 11:22 AM, wrote:

It's amusing how 9v "transistor" batteries have fallen from
favor since the days of youth (in "transistor" radios). Aside
from the smoke/CO detectors, I can' think of anything that
uses them (so, why keep them on hand IN ANTICIPATION of a
failure?)

Blood glucose meters if you have a diabetic in the house,

Most glucometers that I've seen are CR2032 or 2025. The trend
seems to be to make the meters smaller and smaller. Also,
they seem to be treated as largely disposable -- vendors wanting
to "hook" you on a new meter to get you "addicted" to THEIR
(highly profitable) test strips.

[One of the non-profits for which I've done volunteer work recycles
medical... "discards" (not actually "waste", just things that are
no longer "wanted" by hospitals, doctors, patients, etc. So, you
see a LOT of glucometers!]

some good multimeters,

My portable DMM's (venerable Simpson and disposable "1 digit" HD units)
have 9V batteries. The better (5 and 6 digit) DMM's are line powered.

my old garage door opener,

Ours used a tiny -- 1/2 AAAA? -- 12V! battery. Replaced exactly *once*
so the mate (two pack) is still in the refrigerator, somewhere

the transmitter for my radio
controlled "wire puller" (an old R/C truck that runs across suspended
ceilings pulling network cables). I generally have a six-pack of them
available - buy them when Canadian Tire has a good sale on, for less
than a normal 4-pack - and often less than a 2-pack.

I had a box of lithium 9V batteries -- in hermetically sealed pouches
(that smelled, internally, of alcohol or somesuch?) -- that I used
to replenish my meters. The HD units I simply discard when the
battery dies (or, when the displayed reading starts to look *too*
incorrect to put much faith/effort into.