Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

On 10/3/2015 10:02 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

what I am talking about is the fact that the packages they
come in are growing. It used to be you could buy packs of
2 AA cells. Then it went to 4, not you are lucky to find a
pack of 8. I prefer to keep enough on hand replace the
batteries in one remote, and get more when I run that bunch
down.

Yes. Even if you *can* find a "small package" that isn't
"stale" -- because no one seems to want to buy in small lots
(I recall Leno joking that Costco is now selling caskets!
But, you've got to buy *6*...) -- you end up having to buy
the tiny packages at places that are outrageously priced.
Like "the qwikie mart", a *clothing* store, etc.

So, why buy 2 when you can buy 12? Ans: cuz then you have
to *store* 12 -- and, hope they actually work when/if you need
them ("Gee, I *thought* I bought some of these a while ago...
where did I *put* them?")

The AA/AAA rechargeables are less of a problem for us. We have
one of those tiny chargers that holds *just* four cells and
hangs directly off the electric outlet. So, we know exactly
where our "spares" are stored.

I have bigger/fancier chargers that will charge 8 D's, AA's, AAA's
9V, etc. But, we have so few things that use anything *other* than
AA and AAA that its foolish to purchase those sizes -- and leave
them sitting on/in/near a charger for the year or so it might take
for that *one* device to need new batteries!

[The AA/AAA see lots of turnover because *something* always needs
new AA/AAA batteries!]