Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

On 10/2/2015 8:25 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 19:26:39 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 6:56 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 17:27:35 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 5:05 PM,
wrote:

And what does all this drivel have to do with inspecting furnace
filters?????

If you'd read up-thread, you'd see it a consequence of debating the
replacement schedule for said filters...

I don't replace mine. I have a washable electrostatic filter (not a
powered unit) that fits in place of the 1 inch pleated filter. I wash
it every couple months, shake it dry, and put it back in place.

We simply replace ours every month -- toss the old unit in the trash.
In the summer, it's filtering stuff running through the air conditioner's
A-coil; in the winter, it filters stuff that is running through the
furnace's heat exchanger. Roughly the same total volume of air in each case.

We run the fan on low all year,the AC only on the hottest most humid
days ( a couple weeks every summer). The AC runs the fan about half
again as fast as theheat cycle.

Our cooling season starts in April and ends in October -- we're still seeing
100F temperatures. The cooler is an excellent device during the dry months
(April, May, June, October, November) but brings lots of "dirt" into the
house (as there is often airborn dirt: google "haboob") as well as pollen
(we have essentially a continuous growing season). When using the cooler,
its fan essentially runs continuously (low vs. high, maintained automatically
by the thermostat) as turning the fan *off* allows hot air to blow *into*
the house (you need to leave windows cracked open for the cooler to function
as it works by *replacing* the air in the house, continuously). The cooler
keeps "positive pressure" in the house to prevent hot, dry air from outside
infiltrating through those open windows.

In recent years, we have opted to just run the ACbrrr continuously instead
of having to deal with *removing* the humidity that the cooler injects into
the building (e.g., doors swell, bath towels "never dry", carpet feels
wet, etc.).

During the rainy parts of winter, the ACbrrr comes on, again, despite
moderate temperatures -- mainly for dehumidification.