Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 19:26:39 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 6:56 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 17:27:35 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 5:05 PM,
wrote:

And what does all this drivel have to do with inspecting furnace
filters?????

If you'd read up-thread, you'd see it a consequence of debating the
replacement schedule for said filters...

I don't replace mine. I have a washable electrostatic filter (not a
powered unit) that fits in place of the 1 inch pleated filter. I wash
it every couple months, shake it dry, and put it back in place.

We simply replace ours every month -- toss the old unit in the trash.
In the summer, it's filtering stuff running through the air conditioner's
A-coil; in the winter, it filters stuff that is running through the
furnace's heat exchanger. Roughly the same total volume of air in each case.

We run the fan on low all year,the AC only on the hottest most humid
days ( a couple weeks every summer). The AC runs the fan about half
again as fast as theheat cycle.

The swamp cooler makes things worse when we opt to run it as it brings
outside air directly into the house (through a very porous "wet" filter).
But, it is impractical to filter as it moves many thousands of cubic feet
per minute.

On the old furnace I had the replaceable depth filters - I used a
filterfresh spray on them that made them sticky so they caught more of
the fine stuff like polen etc.
I had electrical discharge electrostatics in my previous house - they
were MISERABLE to clean - they'd get blacker than black - pretty well
needed a dishwasher dedicated to cleaning them

I've seen homes (smokers) with electrostatic air filtration that had
"smoke-plated" walls (remove the picture frames from the walls and you can
see where they *were*.