Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Large light bulb for very old street lamp

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 18:00:37 +0100
"Mr Sandman" wrote:

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph
pole in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a
decent amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Back in 1988, I was part of a team working on a project
outside Shanghai. The whole hotel was supplied with 40W bulbs, which
flashed at somewhere between a half and one Hz. One of my compatriots,
John, had less than perfect eyesight, and one weekend, I found the
large shop in downtown Shanghai which sold all sorts of lovely
electrical goodies, many of which would have looked good in a museum
here, but it did have 5.25 inch diskettes. In this place, I found a
150W bulb, it was huge, at least 8 inches long, if not more, and I
carefully carried it home on the bus, and presented it to John at the
communal dinner table, to his great joy. From that day on, it was easy
to see which room was his, the window was lit up "Like the Trocadero".

--
Davey.