Simon Avery

Default Firewood loads and weights

"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Hello Bob

BM| Having invested in a proper fire I am trying to compare
BM| different suppliers of logs.
BM| Is a "load" normally ~ a ton?

Depends on the size of vehicle. It's like a spoonful - the actual
quantity depends on the size of the spoon and whether it's heaped.

BM| How many 8" logs (all other things being average) would one
BM| expect in a load (roughly, obviously)?

What you get from that supplier.

It's all very vague I'm afraid. The weight depends on how wet they
are, how many there are, what sort of wood and so on. The quantity
depends on the supplier and local demand. Cowboys will stack the logs
to take up more space, so look more impressive. Good guys will stack
the logs to take up less space. The middle ground guys just check 'em
in and let 'em fall.

As to what vehicle - a Hilux is generic, expect around half a ton
(wheelarches inside remember, and if it's panelled you'll lose a lot
of logs). Transits more, usually a tonne (ish).

Sometimes hard to find a decent, honest and reliable supplier - so
most folks hang onto them when they do.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/