Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GE plant to Canada, cites lack of EX/IM support

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:49:06 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:27:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 5:50:39 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 15:42:01 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 15:52:36 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 14:32:35 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 14:01:45 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Thanks, House Republicans:

"GE closing U.S. engine plant, moving to Canada; cites lack of U.S.
export financing"

https://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...d=L:2452039359
---------------------------------
It is unclear if this is a gain or loss in the aggregate
sense, as the total costs and total benefits are so
difficult to calculate. GE has proven to be masters of cost
externalization and tax avoidance.
http://staging.weeklystandard.com/bl...ts_609137.html

This may well be a case where "don't let the door hit you in
the *** on the way out" applies.

Baloney. No Ex/Im bank, no big exports from the US. It's that simple.
The simple-minded fools in Congress are shooting us in the foot.
-------------------------
No question that without the Ex/Im bank that major exports
may well decline.

The question is how much do these exports do for the
aggregate economy? If every dollar of export costs 1.10 in
total, we are better off without the export. Unfortunately
the accounting is [purposely?] so convoluted, arcane, and
complex, in many cases involving non-monitary factors such
as national defense, no one knows.

Well, sure, it's complicated. Boeing lives on export financing and
countertrade. Without it, you forfeit the worldwide commercial
aircraft business to Airbus, because France, as well as every other
developed country, has an equivalent to our Ex/Im Bank.

Then you forfeit all power plant turbine and related business; all
large engineering and contruction projects, and everything else that's
large and that contributes to our exports.

I see that Boeing gives China almost a quarter of ALL, yes ALL of its business. What's more; China is making its first overseas plant ever. And its in China, according to Forbes: "Boeing will build an aircraft completion center in China for 737 aircraft, marking the company's first plant outside the U.S"
-- http://www.forbes.com/sites/.../why-...tant-for-boein

The Seattle Times is reporting that: " China takes a quarter of all Boeing jets delivered and nearly a third of all the single-aisle [Boeing] 737s."
-- http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ew-jet-orders/

I think that I read that the establish of a plant in China was a
requirement of the initial deal and that the company had secured the
contract had to, as part of the project, establish a Chinese
operation.

But that isn't unusual. Indonesia, for example, had protective tariffs
that essentially precluded the import of foreign made goods if the
same goods were also manufactured in the country.

To my personal knowledge Toyota and Caterpillar both opened factories
in Indonesia for just that reason.

NEVER start a business in Vietnam. 3 guys I know did just that..and
within a year were thrown out of their offices and the new Viet owners
simply walked in and took over. Communism at its finest....