Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default TV Antenna Mast: 2x4 Bolted To Outside Of Garden Shed?

I am going to make the breadboard TV antenna installation on my garden
shed permanent.

To that end, I will use two 4" standoff brackets to hold the mast:

- One up at the eve, so it will bolt into a frame member.

- The other a few feet off the ground. Seems pretty obvious that
the skin of the shed lacks the strength to support something like
that so I will bolt a 2x4 to the outside with bolts going trough
the skin into 3 of the vertical frame members inside the shed....
and then I'll attach the lower standoff bracket to the 2x4.

The Question:

Are there any Good Practices for something like this?

I'm thinking in terms of the 2x4 up against the skin of
the shed and rot growing between the two as rainwater
seeps into the joint.

Something inside the shed instead of outside ?

# of lag bolts per vertical frame member? 1 centered
in the 2x4 or two spread apart?
--
Pete Cresswell