Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default TV Coax Sharing Conduit: AC or EtherNet?

On 09/30/2015 06:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
BTW: As far as grounding goes...to prevent a possible induction loop
it's best to ground only at the feed end.

The "Feed" end being the end where the signal is consumed, right?

i.e. the opposite end from the antenna...?

My experience is only with UPS's so I will tell you what I know about them.

When a UPS is installed it must be well grounded.

Any equipment connected to it must rely on the (grounded) UPS for it's
ground and not grounded separately.

So...if this same grounding technique were applied to other than UPS
applications it would mean that the ground should be at the antenna
end...however that is a different situation in that the equipment is
probably not on a UPS and if any of it has a standard three prong
(grounded) plug, I would of course not remove the ground pin.

That said the only grounding problems I've heard of were in very dry
climates (such as the deserts of Texas).

Some of the vendors there mentioned that ground rods driven into dry
sand were often equivalent to a totally non-grounded system. They'd have
to pour water onto the ground rods.

That was a number of years ago and maybe they have a better method now.

Even here in Wisconsin where the ground is always wet, the grounding
regulation has changed from (I think) six feet of ground rod...to a
total of 16 feet. When my wiring was upgraded recently the guy put in
two, 8' ground rods.