Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default TV Coax Sharing Conduit: AC or EtherNet?

On 9/30/2015 7:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
Ethernet is also a potential problem due to exposure to lightning strikes.
Consider running optical fiber to bridge buildings. Or, protect the
ethernet drop accordingly.

OK, now MakOlber's comment is starting to soak in.

Since I know nothing about fiber - but have experience with those $150
radio links described previously - it sounds like I am going to retire
the Ethernet and dedicate that conduit to coax.

What sort of "content" are you relying on the coax to deliver?
Can you, instead, use a digital link and push "data" and whatever
media (for which you were hoping to use the coax) down the same
"data link"? I've wired the house so I can deliver all "services"
(phone, video, audio, data) down one set of "network" cables
instead of relying on a specific cable for a specific use.

The remaining question seems to be grounding.