Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default 3D Printing, with Carbon Fibre!

T i m wrote:
Yes. I built a MendelMax 1.5 with / for a mate who would only buy one
(in kit form) if I agreed to help build it with him. ;-)

More costly, but we bought an Ultimaker 2. It's a printer, it Just Works.
Take STL file, load into software, set quality dial, save to SD card. Put
SD card into printer, select file, press Print. Thassit. Oh, and wait
somewhere between 10 mins and a couple of hours.

PLA is 30p/m, and usually an inch cube plastic widget comes out at some
fraction of a metre. Changing PLA isn't quite to the level of changing
cartridges in a regular printer (you have to pull out the fibre from the
back of the machine, it helps with feeding/unfeeding but you still have to
poke in into the feed tube), so you don't want to do it after every run but
it doesn't require any special skills.

The thing I liked most is there is zero calibration. It could almost be a
Windows printer - except it doesn't have driver hell like Windows printers
;-)

Theo