Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Transmitters - Givaways

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:18:11 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/28/2015 1:04 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:11:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/28/2015 8:22 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
What about the receivers that worked at receiving the signals from those
transmitters????

They are built into the sick/dead garage door openers, which ended up tossed
into a dumpster.

They're usually built onto the "back cover". When I replace an opener,
I pull that cover off and set it aside -- self-contained remote control
system (albeit one in an unusual form factor).

On the chamberlain/Crafstman GDO I have sitting on the bench right
now, the RF receiver is on the same card as the motor controller. It
is one FRU for just about everything .

Yes. And you can, for example, wire an arbitrary load in place of the motor
and have a "remote controlled" whatever.

I plan to install a momentary switch in one of the empty "knockouts" in
the car dash wired to the opener's xmtr with the "receiver" connected
to a light to illuminate the driveway. So, when backing into the
garage, at night, we'll be able to *see* the driveway (instead of
relying on the feeble backup lights on the car)

It is more complicated than that on the one I have. There is a slotted
wheel optical emitter that monitors motor movement and shuts it down
if it is not seeing pulses at the expected rate.

It is easier to just buy a separate GDO receiver. I got one on Ebay
for $10 or so, to use as the portable "next" button on my tiki bar MP3
player.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/next%20button.jpg

That picks a relay and makes the appropriate key on the keyboard card
that runs this

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/judybar.jpg

The whole thing runs on a PC using MPXPLAY a DOS application in DOXBOX
a W/XP application.

For your application, why not just add more lights to the light in the
opener?
My wife wants me to install "chase lights" in her dad's driveway
hooked to his opener.