Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Leaking (rainwater) water barrels

On 9/28/2015 10:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Don Y wrote in
:

I don't think that would work. Pump would suck the bag into the
impeller (how do *you* empty it?).

In use to flush I just dip out water with a pail.

Understood. We empty all of the buckets shortly after each rainfall
to prevent mosquito larvae from developing. Barrels are always
"uncovered" (I assume you keep a lid on your while in "storage mode"?)

Have you considered backup power source for well pump -- even if
something you "manually" engage?

Tipping the barrel over (to empty
it completely) would cause the bag to flop out

Yes. Not that difficult to put back in. I rarely empty it. Dip out alga
as needed with a pail.

But, you keep *water* in yours (covered, presumably). When empty,
we want ours to be bone dry within a few hours (or a day, max).
I'm not sure how that would work with a "still wet" liner -- wouldn't
the plastic tend to cling to itself and not "remain open" to air out?

So far, no (dry inspection) evidence of leak source. I'll have to put
the barrel "up on blocks" and see what it does with water in it.

(I guess some
double-sided tape near the bottom of the barrel could minimize this
problem).