Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 00:32:25 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I've repaired a lot of melted wiring that never tripped a breaker but luckily it was in UL listed boxes and enclosures. It was usually due to a bad connection that cause increasing resistance with temperature. Some even arced but didn't trip the breaker which wasn't an arc fault type. o_O

U/L does not certify that there will not be a fire, only that it will
be totally contained in the equipment.

An overload is simply having too much load on the wire. Short circuit
protection is a bolted fault where there is essentially no limit to
the current but the resistance of the wire and the breaker, An 18 ga
wire, less than 50 feet long will operate a 20 a breaker in a bolted
fault.

At least that is the thinking.

You can still get in plenty of trouble with extension cords but we
were talking about lamps.

I worked with #14 high temp silicone and fiberglass insulated wire in some circuits and that stuff was carrying much more than 15 amps. I did come across something about uninsulated conductors in open air being rated at much higher current than insulated wire. I remember reading about power strips and extension cords not being allowed in New York City. Are you familiar with the strict limits on the use of extension cords in NYC? o_O

No idea but I do know NYC has adopted the NEC after 100 years of
having their own code.
That doesn't mean all the inspectors agree.