Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default 3D Printing, with Carbon Fibre!

On 28/09/15 17:35, Fredxxx wrote:
On 28/09/2015 15:57, DerbyBorn wrote:

surely best used at the moment to make patterns and then use a decent
material for the finished component. Is th elost wax process practial
for
DIY?

Aluminium is too difficult to melt on a stove, are there any more
affordable alloys that melt at an easily achievable temperature?

Solders and woods metal?

Yes, but I wouldn't touch Woods metal containing Cadmium. The idea of
melting it on a stove fills me with horror.

I was thinking of some more robust alloy, so long as it melts sub 4-500
degsC.

There are some easily fusible allows that could be used directly in a 3D
printer, though most are either toxic or very expensive indeed.

More appropriate for the Woods metal you mentioned though you wouldn't
see me using that stuff. Cheap but very toxic.