Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3D Printing, with Carbon Fibre!

On Monday, 28 September 2015 01:57:45 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 27 September 2015 21:37:22 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:
I stumbled across this (no affiliation etc.) the other day:

https://www.goprint3d.co.uk/colorfabb-xt-cf20.html

A couple of years ago I experimented with 3d printing and concluded it
was (at least) a couple of years away from being useful and/or practical.

I wonder now if the technology has moved on enough to be worth spending
time on trying again. There are some very useful things I could do with
printed carbon fibre, but I realise that could end up wasting many hours.

Anyone care to share their views?

Thanks.

I gather 3d printing is rather expensive, that all the sub 1k machines are basically pants. The concrete printers look most interesting imho.

3D printing is very expensive unless you're really carfull. Check out the cost of consumables for the printer you have in mind.
We brought a printer recently not sue which one but it was £10k+
Material £500 per KG the washable plastic which is used as support cost £150 a KG and that gets washed down the plug hole !

It;'s also a slow process painfully slow on the sub £1k printers and the resolutions pretty low. It can take 5 hours or more to print something
of more than a couple of inches high & wide.
Also the siftware can be a bit hit and miss some is better than others, some will waste plastic and take far longet to print.