Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 20:11:09 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/27/2015 7:09 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:31:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi. I'm laying out my basement lighting. I expect to have 25 recessed lights, each is 75watt max rating (even though I will use LED, I know I must still assume max rating of fixture). 25x75=1875watts/120V = 15.6amps.
So, I cannot use one 15amp breaker and 14awg wire.
Can I wire all the lights with 12awg and a 20amp breaker?
All comments appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore

No. You are limited to the number of "devices" on the circuit
Generally accepted as 8 on 15 amp and 12 on 20 IIRC.. I'd wire it on 2
circuits, with either 2 rings, or rows, or every second lamp on
opposite circuits.
I'd use an edison circuit,or at least a double (120/240) breaker
powering a 2 pole contactor controlled by a single switch if you want
all lights on at once all the time. I have an application where 3
circuits are controlled by a 3 pole (3 phase) contactor controlling 3
circuits of lighting on one switch - 12 potlights per circuit, 20 amp
breakers. Originally 75 watt incandescents, currently running 9 watt
LEDs.

That applies to *outlets* (180VA per single/dual), not circuits that are
used exclusively for hardwired lighting devices.

.... and only applies in commercial in the US