Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 5:44:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 14:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:16:28 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
nine tenths of the time, nine tenths of the problems people have (or
had, particularly back in the seventies) are the fault of the dealer
as much as the manufacturer. The dealer was paid a pretty fair price
to do the "per-dilivery inspection and service" before delivering the
car. It usually ended up being a quick wash and detail - with
virtually none of the actual "inspectio and adjustment" specified
being done. The adjustments and repairs were done on a complaints only
basis - and usually the dealer attempted to pawn them off as "warranty
claims" Since in most cases those claims were denied - and rightfully
so since the dealer had already been paid to ensure there were no
problems, the dealers did as little as possible to remedy the
problems, "****ing off" the customer.

They did a good job at that on me. That was the third and last Crysler car
I bought. This car was especially bad in that it would not start. It was
funny. You could crank on it and run the battery all the way down. As it
was a manual transmission and I was living near the top of a hill, I could
get it rolling and pop the clutch and it would start. I had it towed in
about 3 times after running down the battery for them to repair and they
never got it repaired. It might have been the switch not making contact or
something in that start circuit.

I did not mention that when the car came in it had a bad spot on the paint.
The car was dark metalic blue and there was a roughly round spot about 6
inches in diameter that was light blue on the part of the trunk lid that
turns down. The dealer did repaint the trunk when I pointed that out. They
should have caught that before they called me to pick up the car, especially
as I bought it in a town about 20 miles away.

I once owned a Canadian built Cordoba and Detroit built Plymouth Fury. The cars shared a common chassis and mechanical parts but the Chrysler from the plant in Canada was put together better. I believe it had more to do with the caliber of the auto workers at the different plants than the vehicle design. After I sorted out any problems the cars had, they were reliable and relatively trouble free but nothing like a bullet proof 65 Dart. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Car Monster

Canada DOES build some of the best quality cars in the world. And
have for years. Will be interesting to see how next year's camaros
compare - - - -
We built the best Crown Vics, and all of Chrysler's rear drive
vehicles for many years come from "just down the road" in Bramalea
Ontario.

In The U.S we have "Affirmative Action" which means a person is put into a job or position of power and responsibility for reasons other than the content of their character. The best example is our President. In Great Britain it's called "Positive Discrimination" which is a much more accurate description. Is their anything like that in Canada or are important jobs done by those with the most experience, skill and ability to accomplish the task? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smart Monster