Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 4:26:33 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/27/2015 2:15 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Well hell, the only vehicles left running after the coming EMP attack will
be diesels with the simple mechanical fuel delivery and engine controls..

I don;t worry about an EMP -- I suspect I will have more pressing
concerns in that case than worrying about a vehicle!

The problem with the architecture of many car control systems is
they don't physically (or even logically) partition subsystems
so that a compromise of one can't compromise the others!

E.g., most "hacks" access the car's control infrastructure
through the entertainment/navigation systems -- things that
should have no reason for *talking* to the brakes, engine
controls, steering, etc. Yet, because this wasn't accurately
considered as a potential attack surface during the design,
there are no/few precautions to protect against such attacks
after the fact.

This is the sort of naive thinking (full of unspoken ASSUMPTIONS)
that leads to big-time problems down the road.

By way of a different, though similar, example, most businesses
employ firewalls to "keep intruders out". They block INBOUND
connections to the machines *inside* their firewall.

But, they ignore the fact that a machine *inside* the firewall
can (typically) initiate a connection to damn near any other
machine *outside* the firewall. And, once that connection is
(intentionally) established -- by malware -- the inside machine
is now *past* the firewall yet under the control of some outside
entity.

Ooops!

I must state that I'm not a conspiracy nut, just a regular nut. I've noticed a pattern over the years of the intrusion of technology into every aspect of the lives of people. People are willingly giving up privacy and control of their lives to new technology which in turn can allow government to control people. Do as you're told or government will turn off your car, travel, ID, money, computer, phone, housing, utilities, benefits, health care and anything else a government gets its hooks into. Basically, people are falling all over themselves to give the government the ability to take away their rights, freedom and liberty at the push of a button. If a government can easily take something from you, a run of the mill criminal can do the same.. I'm sure others have noticed a pattern of government using new technology to exert control over the lives of a citizenry who're are completely oblivious to it. Geez! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster