Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit

On 9/27/2015 6:31 PM, wrote:
Hi. I'm laying out my basement lighting. I expect to have 25 recessed
lights, each is 75watt max rating (even though I will use LED, I know I must
still assume max rating of fixture). 25x75=1875watts/120V = 15.6amps. So, I
cannot use one 15amp breaker and 14awg wire. Can I wire all the lights with
12awg and a 20amp breaker? All comments appreciated.

Are these in *one* room?
Does this one (proposed) lighting circuit represent the entire basement?
Are they all controlled from a single switch?
Are they arranged in one long (electrical) "line" (i.e., the 25th lamp
being the farthesst electrical distance from the supply)?
What's the longest "electrical length" encountered?
Have you guesstimated what the voltage drop will be at each fixture?
Have you considered what you will rely on for lighting if/when that
circuit is "off"?

Typically, a (lighting) branch circuit is sized at 80% of its load.