Posted to alt.home.repair

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 14:15:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 3:59:28 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/27/2015 1:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/27/2015 3:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

How come, don't want to fiddle with your car? You can reproprogram ECU
for example. You modify any part of the car to your heart's content.
Today's cars are more electronics than mechanics. Like Volvo has more
than 20 microprocessors controlling the car one way or the other.
Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, drive train, collision
avoidance system.... You name it.

I'm picking up my new car on Tuesday. The electronics are incredible.

Until they fail! : I dread having to deal with one of umpteen
little processors deciding to have a nervous breakdown at some
inopportune time. And, despite my education, training, tools, etc.
being HELPLESS to effect a repair, on my own! (short of "replacement")

Also, there seems to be pretty compelling evidence that these things
have been designed on the assumption of a "friendly" (not hostile) operating
environment. Sort of like the folks who design insulin pumps and never
consider that someone might want to maliciously *hack* a device which
is responsible for the short term health of a human -- just to prove they
*can*!

(ditto pace makers, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbjdmw8D9-Y
I have no plans to bail out the roof though.

Well hell, the only vehicles left running after the coming EMP attack will be diesels with the simple mechanical fuel delivery and engine controls. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle EMP Monster

And a hand cranked starter, just to be safe.