Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ADAPT Wheelchair motors to LATHE (?) was...not quite OT

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 08:11:21 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Rex" wrote in message
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 9:01:44 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
Rex wrote:

I checked with a big local warehouse with access to both Exide
and
Deka. They could not get them from either source.

This is what I'll probably order. Looks like it ships ready to
go.
They are sealed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Just for the heck of it I checked the Batteries Plus site.
Several
stores in my area have a replacement on hand for $124.99. Ouch!
Your
Amazon deal looks a lot better...

The Battery Plus offering is by Duracell. Might give you
something
else
to search for. Looks like this:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/conten...rge/814548.jpg

I can just make out a part number that looks to be
"DURA12-44C/FR"
in
the top left corner. Looks like Batteries Plus is about the only
one
selling it too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

What is the application? If it's a power wheelchair you only need
pick a size that fits the battery box, if a lathe any large enough
batteries will do. The subtle difference for wet, AGM and gel
battery
types is the proper charging method.
http://www.powerstream.com/SLA.htm
See "Unregulated Transformer-Based Chargers"

-jsw

Actually, it's something called an American Chariot. Sort of a
Segway alternative sold to police, security, and military about 10
years ago.

I was a temp lab tech at Segway but I never looked into the
competition and am not qualified to say what's safe on such a vehicle.
I have seen flooded/wet U1 batteries with filler caps on the power
wheelchairs I fixed.
https://www.spinlife.com/spintips/de...ries/a/121/c/3
"There are two types of lead-acid batteries, wet-cell batteries and
gel-cell batteries. Both may be used in power wheelchairs, however,
manufacturers typically recommend gel-cell batteries over wet-cell
batteries due to environmental and maintenance concerns with wet-cell
batteries."

Right. Go over a few big bumps with a wet cell and you end up with
H2SO4 all over the place, eating holes in things. Wish I could find a
decently priced SLA for my riding mower. They're 2-3x higher.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...