Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Triton TRC 001 Router

On 9/26/2015 11:28 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 8:21:41 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

What wold turn me off on any router would to not be able to change
the bit from above the table. BUT I'll keep an eye on the DeWalt.

I have been online looking at the Triton routers this morning and
there sure seems to be a lot to commend that machine. When I bought
my DeWalt, there was no Triton here in the USA, maybe somewhere but
Woodcraft introduced them locally after I had purchased my machine.
Then I recall there was a "bad batch" that ticked off my contact
there, but that was many, many years ago.

Kind of a jack of all trades type router.

Seems they have it all together, now. Read a lot of glowing reviews
on the Triton's power, a bit difficult for some but really accurate
adjustments and its reliability. Leon, am I reading this right about
this router that you can crank the height adjustment from the bottom
of the router so that when it is in a table you can use a wrench and
adjust it from above? That would be a pretty nifty feature!

Robert

I can't verify whether you can make adjustments from the top of the
table or not. That is not an uncommon trait to many routers these days,
Including the Bosch 1617 EVS. I have that router too but an early one
and it did not yet have that feature. I bought it in 1998.

Back to the Triton, my Triton. There is a dial inside the end of one of
the handles that converts the router from fixed base to a plunge router.
I use it in the fixed base router configuration in my router table.
The router is also built for easy spring removal for upside down
configurations. For coarse adjustments you release the lock lever,
found on most plunge routers, and pull in on an inner ring on the handle
with the dial and twist the handle, that gives you the fast coarse
adjustment. Then there is a small black stand alone knob that lets you
fine tune the height adjustment. It is so easy to use that set up and I
have not wanted for an above table adjustment set up.
Most of the time when I make the fine adjustment I squat down and look
across the top of the table at the bit. The fine adjust knob is on the
front side of the router in this set up and might be easier to reach
than from the top of the table when in a squatting position.

I did just go to the Triton web site and watched the video. It does
appear that the TRA001 now has a roll pin "T" at the opposite end of the
fine adjustment knob. Looks like a small slotted pipe would engage that
from the top side of the router table.

I bought mine during the controversy, IIRC it was all about the door you
slide open to flip the power switch. Apparently the door was trapping
dust and causing problems. My router has a bellows like seal around the
rocker switch behind that door. I have not has one issue with that
configuration.

FWIW this particular router has not seen extensive use but I have used
it for hours on end non stop at multiple times. When I was first
looking at this router it reminded me of of something you might find at
Harbor Freight, except for the price. I was not and still am not
impressed with its looks. ;~) But all that aside I have not had a
moments trouble out of it since I got it up until now.

IMHO it is perfect for the router table. I am not at all a fan of a
single wrench for changing bits routers. This is a single wrench
router. In a router table this is not an issue. The only way to loosen
or tighten the collet is to extend the router full up/down. This action
engages a spring loaded shaft lock. The router base actually pushes the
lock into place. Stupid simple.
If the router is being used free hand I dislike, like any router with
single wrench bit change, having to grab the router where ever you can
get a good grip and turning the wrench with the other. I prefer
squeezing two winches in my hand for that procedure. In a router table,
I don't care, the table is holding the router. This is not a unique
problem with the Triton.

Like most any huge plunge router this one might be a bit top heavy in a
stand alone plunge configured set up.