Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Leaking (rainwater) water barrels

Don Y wrote:
On 9/25/2015 10:25 PM, Bob F wrote:
I bought some Locktite Vinyl glue recently that might work to glue
the leak. I'd try to find the leak, then spread it a bit and squeeze
the glue in, then maybe apply a fillet of glue on the outside and
let it dry overnight.

I suspect this is a hairline crack. It takes *hours* for the barrel
to empty. And, as the water level falls, the rate of draining seems
to be reduced (hydrostatic pressure).

I suspect I will have to scrub the inside and outside (sediment that
accumulates in the barrel) and then watch, carefully, for any water
leaving the bottom surface.

First thing is to just look for the crack. It may be completely obvious to to
water stains or moss/algae growth.

I could add, I had some luck at one time repairing a plastic kayak hole with a
hot glue gun, by first heating up the plastic with a heat gun, then applying the
glue. It bonded much better to the heated plastic.

Since you say you can reach inside, you could use the vinyl cement with a patch
of heavy rubber or vinyl coated fabric.

I would certainly use care when moving it after repairing, as no repair will be
a strong as new.