Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Triton TRC 001 Router

On 9/26/2015 3:17 AM, wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 9:47:00 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

In the event I have to replace this router, what are y'all using to
spin big bits in a router table.

The Triton has VS, fine and coarse depth control, above the table
bit changes, and plenty of power to spin those large bits. I would
like to have the same features.

Suggestions? I have strongly considered the big Milwaukee.

You know, I don't know what I would do if I had an eleven year old
tool that needed repair. I would think I would be figuring out how
many road miles it had on it before I would repair it. Eleven years
in _your_ shop seems like a really long run. But if I liked the tool
and its results, I could be pretty forgiving, in this case if the
bearings and brushes were still good.

Actually that tool does not see nearly as much action as the previous
router. I use it mostly to round over edges, 1/8" radius. And raised
panels, the occasional wood top edge treatment ans so on.

I really like the tool, I have not wanted for another feature to be on
the machine.

Many years ago I needed to cut some door panels and make a bunch of
trim for a really neat custom job I landed. I looked at a lot of
routers and at that time the big Porter Cable was still around. But
the build quality had fallen so much those that had the newer ones
steered me away. I seem to remember screeching bearings for some
reason, although that may be wrong.

Current reputation is what would cause me any concern on the Speedmatic

So that left Hitachi, Milwaukee and DeWalt. Don't remember why I
passed the Hitachi. Didn't like the fit/finish of the Milwaukee, nor
the fact that the soft start wasn't very soft at all. IIRC, it is now
made in China and with a few manufacturing changes is a good router.

http://goo.gl/65ZlAt

I HATE those damn handles, and under a table they take up a lot of
room. Also, upside down, this machine is a nightmare to adjust. To
me, this tool was made to be a lightweight shaper that never left the
table. Also, from time to time I still use 1/4" shank bits, and a
1/4" collet does not come with this machine. It is another $40-$50.

The handles are kinda weird but I would probably remove them for hanging
under the table. I probably would never use it anywhere else. I have a
huge Bosch plunge router used to be in the table but what a beast to
adjust, even with the various add on to make it easier to use.
FWIW the Triton only came with the half inch collet but came with a
multi segmented 1/4" adapter that has worked surprisingly well.

When I took the end cap off to view the innards I was almost in
disbelief that the insides were so clean. About the only thing that had
a layer of dust, and a very thin one at that, were the wires. Hardly
anything anywhere else. I will say that the air flow through the router
is pretty strong.

So down to the DeWalt. Not always crazy about their tools, and
haven't always had great luck with them lasting. However, when I got
this machine home, it was love when I switched it on. Really nice
soft start, not nearly as loud as the Milwaukee or the Porter Cable.
This one came with the 1/4" collet in the box.

http://goo.gl/28zZBr

It has plenty of power, doesn't require a suitcase sized table (this
is very similar in size to the Triton) and is extremely well made.
It is made in Italy by Elu from Italian and Swiss parts. The
electronic speed control has been flawless. Under the table it is a
breeze to adjust since I bought one of these

http://www.toolnut.com/DeWalt_DW6966...r_p/dw6966.htm

Humm. I'll keep that one in mind should I need to go that route.

for it. Some of the guys online that showed me their setups made
nice adjusters with a piece of pipe, a coupler nut and turned a nice
looking wood knob for the same purpose. When I found that for $15 at
the time I purchased it, it was a no brainer.

I don't know your setup for raising panels, but I am honestly afraid
of the horizontally spinning router bits that should be in a shaper.
There was a guy here locally that was using CMT bits to raise his
panels and the bit broke and nicked him and half of the head lodged
in the garage wall. At the time I was also on Sawmill Creek, and
although quite rare, a couple of fellows had the same result. Even
figuring in that at least one wasn't using the setup correctly, I am
thinking about a bit going in a machine that in use just doesn't look
safe to me.

With the Triton I can turn the speed way down and seriously I have no
issue with the horizontal bits. It cuts lit butt'a and is a relatively
quiet operation. I do however spin the better quality bits when doing
raised panels and I keep the bit covered with the fence so I am only
seeing about 1/4 exposure of the bit. And I typically make 3~4 passes,
just taking a little out at a time.

I put the panels on edge and cut away as much as possible on a table
saw. Then I use a vertical panel raising bit to make my cuts. The
vertical bits cut a bit slower than the horizontally mounted since
you don't have the momentum behind that develops behind that large
horizontal head, but the finish is fine. I never have made a lot of
doors and now rarely do. The router has plenty of power for dadoes,
edging, and making passes with odd bits to make some "one off" shop
designed trims. It can profile cut ton of trim without overheating,
and creates enough air flow around it even in the closed box I made
that it doesn't overheat. This router has been a really solid
performer and a joy for me to use. It has left the table from time
to time to edge or trim something as needed and it is easy to hold,
aim and use.

The only knock I have heard (but not found to be a problem for me) is
that it doesn't plunge as deeply as some of the other routers in its
class. I got rid of the base that came on it and made a really large
phenolic base, and even after losing the thickness of the base, I
still have no problems. If I did, I would probably buy a bit
extender and be done with it, but at this point no problems. I think
this is one DeWalt got right.

Robert

What wold turn me off on any router would to not be able to change the
bit from above the table. BUT I'll keep an eye on the DeWalt.

Thank you Robert!