Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Leaking (rainwater) water barrels

On 9/25/2015 5:36 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Is caulking compound (on the interior) likely to be a permanent solution?
Or, an epoxy? Or, just toss the barrel (we'd have to wait for a biannual
special pickup to discard something of this size -- unless I dragged
out a sawzall and diced it up!) and go pick up another from the laundry??
(which is also tedious as they are large and have remnants of nasty
liquids in them before you get them home and clean them)

We have quite a few collecting rain water for use in the garden and flower
pots. Empty it turn it up side down to find where/how it leaks.

How do I locate a leak (other than visually) in that orientation?
I was assuming to fill it and watch for drips -- coloring the water
to make the leaks more readily located.

There is compatible welding glue(epoxy) you can apply after sanding the area
lightly for better bonding.

But, on the *outside*? I'd assume the inside would be a better spot:
water in the barrel will push *on* the patch (instead of pushing it
out of the way). Likewise, the wear and tear on the outside (as the
barrels get moved around at the start/end of the rainy season) would
be greater than on the inside.

It would be a bit claustrophobic reaching that far into the barrel
to apply the "patch". But, it's wide enough for my shoulders and
upper torso (I'd obviously lay the barrel on its side to make it
easier to access)

They are not that heavy.

They are primarily bulky, not heavy. I can tumble it end-over-end to
get it upside down. OTOH, I wonder if this sort of thing is what
has led to the leak (I have to physically dump them to ensure the
last bits of water drains to prevent mosquito breeding -- so I
leave the barrels upside down when I dump them)