Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Triton TRC 001 Router

On 9/25/2015 3:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 9/25/2015 10:46 AM, Leon wrote:
11 years ago I bought a Triton 3.5 hp router to hang in my router table.
It has worked flawlessly up until a couple of days ago.

It has variable speed electronic feed back to regulate the speed. Anyway
the router was operating at a lower speed setting and suddenly it went
to full speed. Turning the speed control dial had no immediate effect
but eventually the router went back to the set speed with no other
issues. It has done this every time since that day. I use this router
to spin raised panel bits but do not want the router to go full speed
speed when do int that.

Anyway locating a replacement part is looking difficult.

In the event I have to replace this router, what are y'all using to spin
big bits in a router table.

The Triton has VS, fine and coarse depth control, above the table bit
changes, and plenty of power to spin those large bits. I would like to
have the same features.

Suggestions? I have strongly considered the big Milwaukee.

So before you do that.
Take it apart and blow out the switches.

Are you using a DC connected to the cabinet?
if you are this could be the problem.
Most all routers blow from the head to the bit to cool.
When you do a Norm type table you are killing the router.
A) it overheats as you are starving it of air
B) you overpower the fan and pull the dust through the motor to the
switch... I had gone through a number of switches before I finally wised
up. No more problems.

If you clean out the switch use some contact cleaner after blowing it
out. An on off switch is easier to clean than the speed control, but
try it anyway.

I opened the top, where the speed controller is located and found a
pretty clean environment. I suspected that it was heating up from dust
build up. BUT it goes full speed immediately some times after sitting
long enough to totally cool off.
Anyway, here is what it looks like and there is really nowhere dust will
collect.
http://www.toolsparesonline.com/prod...ller-110v.aspx

BUT I think I will spray cleaner on it as you mentioned just in case
something I can't see is in there. Thank you