Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DISH network tip.

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 11:56:00 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/25/2015 9:15 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
You mentioned manipulation of people through emotional means. I've noticed
that Liberals use emotion to advance their agenda against Conservatives who
lean more toward logic and reason but now Liberals are really upset that
Conservatives are appropriating Liberal's emotional tactic with the story
about Planned Parenthood selling baby body parts. Liberals are trying to
counter Conservatives with emotion on that subject and failing which serves
them right. ^_^

Shirley, you jest. Have you listened to Talk Radio for the past few
DECADES? Ever listen to how much *partial* information the talking heads
spout from the right? Where's the *rest* of the video that the right
considers so *outrageous*? Where's the rush to see the other side of the
story?

Subpoena the producers of the video. Drag out all the original footage.
See what was cut. See the context behind each "editorial decision"
that was made (and subsequently hidden) from the public.

We hear the Right decrying "secret details" of iran negotiations
(over which our government had no direct control). And, all sorts
of outcry over "deleted emails". Yet, strangely silent on the
details BEHIND said video.

We don't here anyone clamoring for tracking, logging and transcribing all
TELEPHONE conversations among members of congress and their constituents.
No clamor to insist they all use "government approved telephones" for
all their voice transactions; recording devices in their offices, etc.

We noticed how quickly the call (by republicans in congress) for term
limits disappeared when they gained control over that chamber! I
guess it isn't a good idea when it risks cutting into *your*
control? Will they, once again, complain about term limits if
they see Congress leaning away from their control?

"Every (unborn) life is sacred" Until, of course, it is *born*!
Then, screw it -- it's not *our* problem! No, we don't want to
promote better healthcare for pregnant mothers (to ensure a healthy
"unborn child" comes into the world). We don't want to pay for
childcare, pre-K, etc. I guess that life really *isn't* that
important? "Family Values" isn't the same as "Valuing the Family"!

When they appear so lopsided in their logic, they lose all credibility
and appear to just be acting in a partisan manner -- "I'm doing what's
right to advance MY cause!" For me, this makes it relatively easy
to dismiss their arguments (regardless of whether they are on the
left *or* on the right).

I have friends that are far right and far left. With most of them,
i can engage them in genuine discourse. They aren't "closed minded,
cartoon people" but, actually, rational beings that can hold a
thought and come to logical deductions *from* that thought.

We recently were chatting with a (Right) couple who were visibly
upset over this KY clerk and how her "religious freedoms" were
being compromised. "Well, she doesn't *have* to take/keep the
job! She could dig ditches, wait on tables, be a stay at home
Mom, etc. No one is forcing her to take this job whose requirements
should have been known, a priori!"

This was met with angry silence.

"What if she was a he (see below); and, he was a muslim. Would it be
OK for him to refuse to register any property transactions to *women*?
Or, refuse to issue drivers' licenses to them?"

This sort of thing caused figurative smoke to pour out from their
ears! I.e., how can we possibly defend the SAME RIGHTS extended
to a *muslim*?? We hate/fear them!!

So, they rationalize some *imaginary* difference between THEIR opinions
on the KY clerk issue and this hypothetical muslim replacement. When
tasked (by me) to put that difference into *words*, they're unable to!
As such, how am I supposed to evaluate the quality of their argument?
It looks purely capricious -- driven entirely by emotion (fear).

We have a neighbor who is a bigot. This is the concensus of the entire
neighborhood. Some folks rationalize his behavior as a consequence of
his upbringing, age, etc. But, *all* agree he is a bigot. Many have
flatly (not in anger) stated this to his face -- which leaves him
red-faced (no one wants to *admit* to being a bigot -- especially bigots!)

He is particularly vocal on the "mexicans" situation (we are close to
the MX border). "Deport them all", etc.

Yet, we ALL notice that he never hires "white people" to work around
his house. Does he not notice this pattern in his hiring? Does he
not consider his PERSONAL consequences if they "were all deported"?
It's become almost a game to ask him if he checked the papers of
his latest hiree BEFORE hiring!

*Honestly* (i.e., I pose this as a serious, not rhetorical, question),
how can I consider any of his arguments as rational (i.e., worthy of
serious consideration) given this demonstrated inconsistency in his
thoughts vs. actions?

If a news outlet consistently gives one side of a story, how could
I *limit* my "news sources" to just that outlet? Do I "shop around"
to find someone who says WHAT I WANT TO HEAR? And, blissfully and
stubbornly ignore The Truth (not some proclaimed truth but the
"real" truth, whatever that might be)?

OMG! Don't want have a stroke fella. You must understand that you should never take anything I write about human relations seriously. I know that all politicians are full of excrement and are self serving even The Pope. Yes, I do believe The Pope is a politician. I was tortured by nuns as a small boy so I can pick on The Pope. It's fun to argue with The Left and The Right because I don't claim allegiance to either since I tend to run along the Z axis. What me and my brothers say about politics is,"I'm not a Republican, Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they horrify me." Liberals get so upset when Conservatives use emotion to promote some cause because Liberals don't know how to do anything else. Of course, this is just from my own observations spanning more than a half century. I noticed the patterns even when I was a kid in the 1950's. At the age of 6, I decided that all grownups were full of crap, they have yet to disappointed me. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Undefined Monster