Tom MacIntyre

Default Schematics for My TV

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:31:55 GMT, "Jeff Stephens"
wrote:

It seems to me that it would be a simple matter to make these

schematics
available online for free. In Sanyo's case they already do this for

owner's
manuals. In this day and age, I would expect these to be available at
the manufacturer's website in .pdf format. Is this an example of price
goudging?

Regards,
Jeff Stephens

And it would be a simple matter to put MP3s on line, and elimeinate
the trouble of record stores and such.

The fact is, that it costs money to produce those manuals, above the
finite cost of printing/shipping them.

Hey guys, lighten up.

What's to lighten up about with that comment? It captures the entire
idea behind this.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to get
these
for free. If necessary, the mfrs. could up the price of the TV a couple of
bucks and the cost would be included in the price. Then, a simple matter
to post the file to their website. I don't need a hardcopy of the owner's
manual which came with my TV as long as I can download it from the
internet. For those who don't have a computer or internet access you can
go to your local library and use theirs.

The reason why stuff is so cheaply made nowadays is because consumers
voted, with their buying choices. If you add cost, even with added
value, you'll alienate the majority of customers. How many people do
you really think will ever want a schematic for their consumer
electronics. It doesn't make sense, common, or marketing, for the
manufacturers to do this...so, they don't.

Tom

Regards,
Jeff S

-
Many media people have been journalism and/or communication majors. Most

of
these programs have little analytical rigor. They are a dumping ground

for
the most ill-prepared students.

Walter E. Williams, PhD
Professor of Economics