Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phone charging

wrote:
if I connect the red 5v+ wire (pin4) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc power supply to the red wire on a USB cable and the black com wire(pin 2 or 3) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc to the black wire on a USB cable will this charge my phone when I put the power supply on and usb connector in my phone?
Or do i have to insert other components in between?
thx in advance

If you get the pinouts on mini or microusb correct, no problem. Most phone
chargers are dumb and just output 5 to 5.2 volts.

a fuse would be a good thing to add if you're connecting directly to your
powers supply. Standard USB ports on your computer are current limited or
protected. 1 amp should be fine, it's just to prevent fireworks if the
cable or connectors get damaged.