Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phone charging

if I connect the red 5v+ wire (pin4) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc power supply to the red wire on a USB cable and the black com wire(pin 2 or 3) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc to the black wire on a USB cable will this charge my phone when I put the power supply on and usb connector in my phone?
Or do i have to insert other components in between?
thx in advance
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/23/2015 8:58 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
if I connect the red 5v+ wire (pin4) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc power supply to the red wire on a USB cable and the black com wire(pin 2 or 3) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc to the black wire on a USB cable will this charge my phone when I put the power supply on and usb connector in my phone?
Or do i have to insert other components in between?
thx in advance

If you get the pinouts on mini or microusb correct, no problem. Most phone
chargers are dumb and just output 5 to 5.2 volts.

a fuse would be a good thing to add if you're connecting directly to your
powers supply. Standard USB ports on your computer are current limited or
protected. 1 amp should be fine, it's just to prevent fireworks if the
cable or connectors get damaged.

Not clear what you're trying to accomplish.
Do you wish to replace a wall-wart phone charger with a big honkin'
ATX power supply? If so, be aware that, while the power supply standard
suggests that you can get a stable 5V output with no other load,
there's a lot of non-standard stuff goin' on in the highly competitive
PC market. Saving a dime on the design and have it still work in its
target PC is small comfort if the thing misbehaves in YOUR application.
Or if the technician copying the copy of a design screwed it up.

Why would you risk an expensive phone on a clunky solution?
Risk may be low, but the consequences might be devastating to the phone.
Wall-Warts are dirt cheap.

And chargers are not all dumb. I've got phones that complain
if you plug in a charger it doesn't recognize.

Motorola V3 phone charging [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 16th 14 08:25 PM
Phone not charging Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 12 May 31st 12 05:04 PM
Charging mobile phone Zen83237 UK diy 25 June 21st 11 11:42 PM
Self charging cell phone battery bob Electronics Repair 15 April 17th 10 01:08 AM
Slighly OT -- Cell Phone Not Charging Steve Koschmann Metalworking 10 September 18th 05 12:00 AM