Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default DISH network tip.

On 9/22/2015 8:19 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Well, most of the manufactured goods I buy are "suitable."

I'd say "adequate". Usually I prefer things a bit more "upper shelf"
than the standard fare. I've often stated that I would pay *double* for
most things for the ASSURANCE (not "guarantee") that they *won't* break!
Of course, you typically end up paying more and they *still* break!

Sometimes I will pay a premium price if that's what it take to meet
the suitable standard. Still less expensive than in the past.
Washing machines and refrigerators are exceptions. They're a crap
shoot.

Refrigerators downright terrify me! Prices through the roof and
salespeople that outright DOWNPLAY the expected product lifespan!
"Cripes, you want me to pay THAT and you are telling me it's NOT
going to last the 20 years that my current one has lasted?? I
don't care if it uses ZERO electricity, the TCO is outrageous!!"

But I what I REALLY miss the most is good bakery items.
There's just no substitute for the Swedish and German bakeries
that used to be all over the place in the Chicago area.

I do most of my own baking -- and most of the things that I make
aren't typically found in commercial bakeries (too "ethnic").
This, of course, is a self-limiting process -- there's only so
much you can bake before getting tired of it! (Biscotti last night;
raisin bread this coming weekend)

What I miss are good *butchers* (I loved Schmeisser's in Niles)
and Italian deli's and restaurants (Beantown and NYC for those).
And, a *good* bagel (haven't had one of those in decades!)

Oh, and Cappy Dogs (Capitol Lunch). Mmmmm... I could have half a dozen
tight now!! :

Dunkin Donuts played a hand in their demise.
That's my personal view, of course.

Even *good* donuts are hard to come by! We had a little Ma&Pa
donut shop up the corner. They operated it more like a hobby:
they'd make a batch of donuts -- and stay open until they were
sold out (hours!). Then, the next time they felt the urge to
make a batch, the process would repeat. I.e., you never knew
when or if they'd be open -- so, if you drove by and they
WERE open, you ALWAYS stopped!