Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On 9/20/2015 7:37 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

My bad (sorry). I thought you were talking about an *oscillating
sander*. I have a variable speed "oscillating tool" from Menards
which cost me about $35, I think. I have found it handy in trimming
shims and the bottoms of door frames.

Just keep using it Bill - you will find that the list of useful purposes for
these tools just magically keeps growing. Makes ya wonder why it took so
long for them to develop it.

Two things happen to us wood butchers in the course of a lifetime:

We stumble on to tools like the multi-tool and once we pick one up we
wonder how we ever survived without it.

The other thing is we DON'T pick up specialized tools but are lazy and
figure out a way (outside the box) to use what we DO have.

Although I had the multi-tool by this point, even that was too slow for
me when I needed to undercut a dozen or so door jambs while installing
new hardwood flooring.

They make a nice saw especially designed for this purpose but I have a
very nice Porter-Cable biscuit cutter. Set to 90 degrees, set on a shim
to raise the top of the blade to where it needed to be and each jamb
took about a minute. That carbide blade doing the plunge cuts was so
sweet, the jamb and trim didn't even need a touch up of stain.