Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On 9/20/2015 11:16 AM, krw wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:02:32 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 9/20/15 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I know this group and what a huge can of worms I just opened up, but
we'll see if I can though this with any actual information. :-D

I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well

[snip]

Ease of use and setup makes a tool more likely to be used. I have a Fein
and truly wish it had the quick release and notched index blade setup. I
find that the easier the tool is to setup the more I use it. Mine is the
older design that requires the odd hex wrench to replace attachments and ir
adjust attachments. Other than that it operated very smoothly.

I'm not only in the "ease of setup and use" boat with you, I'm driving
the ship!

Which is the whole reason behind cordless tools. The Bosch
oscillating tool uses a hex screw to hold on the blade - its weakness.

Weakness as in quick change of blade or have you run into another
problem with it?

Admittedly, I'd probably like a quick change option on it but as someone
else mentioned in passing, "what you make on bananas, you lose on
grapes" (or something very similar). Sometimes the quick change
artistry leaves much to be desired in terms of strength and durability.
At least when I torque down the blade on my Bosch, I know it's going
to hold solid.