Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 10:49:04 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 9/19/15 11:11 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:52:05 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

I know this group and what a huge can of worms I just opened up,
but we'll see if I can though this with any actual information.
:-D

I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well
documented in here that I have been its staunchest defender. So
even though it probably will, I would like this thread to not
quickly escalate into the same, tired, old, rehashed over and over
again too many times already, HF multitool debate. :-) After
probably eight years with the thing, it's still going strong, but
I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons.

1. Noise & Heat. The HF gets so hot you could fry an egg on it.
Plus, it's so fricken loud!!! 2. The new oscillating tools I've
seen have a quick release and that's very appealing to me. 3. I'm
hoping the brand name tools actually perform better. After using
the HF for so long, I think I will able to very quickly determine
if this is the case.

So again, this may a be futile request, but I would like opinions
about oscillating tools from those who have actually used them. I'm
looking for quieter, cooler, faster, non-tool blade release, and
probably NOT battery operated, although I might be able to be
convinced.

Blade universality isn't that important since most have adapters
or already accept all blades.

LAST THING: I already know Festool is the best and Fein is a
close second. But I don't have six hundred bucks to spend on an
oscillating tool. All the other brands have options under $150, so
I'm sticking with those.

Of course, nothing but Festool! ;-)

Now that we got that out of the way... ;-) I own a Dremel corded and
a Bosch cordless oscillating saw. Of the two, I use the cordless one
at least 10:1 over the corded saw.

I looked at the Fein a year or so ago (they had a demo at Woodcraft)
and was impressed. The price wasn't all that bad, anymore, either.
If I were buying again, I'd probably buy the Fein instead of the
Dremmel but I'd still be using the Bosch ten times as often as the
Fein.

How fast do the batteries charge on the Bosch and is there a notable
difference in power between the corded and cordless?

Less than an hour. I have a bunch of batteries (I also have the 12V
drill, driver, and Impactor) so that's never a problem for me (so I
don't watch closely). I'm not a contractor so I don't use it 8hrs a
day, so recharging isn't a major concern. I rarely have to change
batteries in the middle of any job with any of my tools.

I don't notice a power difference between the Bosch and Dremmel. The
Fein I tried (during a store demo) was a little easier on the hands, I
think, though.