Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On 9/20/15 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I know this group and what a huge can of worms I just opened up, but
we'll see if I can though this with any actual information. :-D

I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well
documented in here that I have been its staunchest defender. So even
though it probably will, I would like this thread to not quickly
escalate into the same, tired, old, rehashed over and over again too
many times already, HF multitool debate. :-)
After probably eight years with the thing, it's still going strong, but
I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons.

1. Noise & Heat. The HF gets so hot you could fry an egg on it. Plus,
it's so fricken loud!!!
2. The new oscillating tools I've seen have a quick release and that's
very appealing to me.
3. I'm hoping the brand name tools actually perform better. After
using the HF for so long, I think I will able to very quickly determine
if this is the case.

So again, this may a be futile request, but I would like opinions about
oscillating tools from those who have actually used them.
I'm looking for quieter, cooler, faster, non-tool blade release, and
probably NOT battery operated, although I might be able to be convinced.

Blade universality isn't that important since most have adapters or
already accept all blades.

LAST THING: I already know Festool is the best and Fein is a close
second. But I don't have six hundred bucks to spend on an oscillating
tool. All the other brands have options under $150, so I'm sticking
with those.

Ease of use and setup makes a tool more likely to be used. I have a Fein
and truly wish it had the quick release and notched index blade setup. I
find that the easier the tool is to setup the more I use it. Mine is the
older design that requires the odd hex wrench to replace attachments and ir
adjust attachments. Other than that it operated very smoothly.

I'm not only in the "ease of setup and use" boat with you, I'm driving
the ship!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)