Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making a photography darkroom

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:54:42 +0100, Chris French wrote:

Eldest daughter (14) is very much getting into photography. Digital of
course, but she likes the idea of having a play with film.

Good for her, encourage that willingness to explore.

So any pointers/suggestions for setting it up are welcome.

The only point that you need the total abscence of light is
transfering film from 35 mm canisiter to developing drum. A changing
bag will do that, either a proper one or perhaps a heavy duty black
garden waste/rubble sack.

Fold over a couple time the open end and tape closed. Cut the bottom
corners of just big enough to get hand inside and use a couple of
elastic bands well above the wrists to keep the bag in place and
light out.
Note heavy duty, ordinary black bin bags are semi transparent, check
your choosen bag for transparency and holes!. Also do the transfer in
darkened room not out in direct full sunlight... B-)

The dark room could be anywhere that has decent curtains and no
street light outside by just waiting until it's got dark.

Another thought is that we have a dressing room that isn't really
properly used. We I could use one end of that. It has two entrances, so
I could partition one end off with black plastic say - no window at that
end (power, accessible drainage and water. We do have plans to create an
en suite bathroom, and a separate storage room with a a partition wall
across dividing the room, so could potentially do the partition wall now
anyway.

KISS... will that wall happen? See above about night and decent
curtains. Or a frame and black plasic to fit the reveal.

--
Cheers
Dave.