Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default making a photography darkroom

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:54:42 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

Someone on the local Freecycle was offering a load of darkroom gear,
which I've acquired. And I've rooted out my old film SLR. So now need to
construct some sort of darkroom space.

Once you've got that, have a look at pinhole cameras. These can use photo paper
as "film", and that makes the dark requirement a lot less stringent. And it's
something different from digital.

(I was impressed by some long-term exposures of the ocean -- the motion averages
out over time, and the water looks perfectly flat.)

For chemicals, look at "nonstandard developers". Quick google gave
http://www.caffenol.org/, with suggestions such as cheap beer, coffee, beet
juice and other developers which sound like they won't break the bank.

Thomas Prufer