Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making a photography darkroom

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 23:33:37 +0200, Graham. wrote:

Bob Eager Wrote in message:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:29:08 +0100, Chris French wrote:

I'm avoiding buying anything much at the moment, as I don't really
know all of what I've got yet, and it might just be a flash in the
pan.

Start off on B&W prints I guess and see how we go.

I found a changing bag adequate for loading the drum.

My dad fitted out our bathroom with various things to make a darkroom
on a temporary basis (he did part time professional photography). We
had a close fitting panel for the window frame (bolts from panel into
frame); enlarger table that fitted over the toilet, safelight on the
end of the bath (!!), run from one of those Y-shaped BC things on the
light fitting.
Then a board over the bath for the trays, and we ran the developing
tank rinse hose in the sink.

The most fun thing was playing with reversal of monochrome film, to get
monochrome transparencies.

My original darkroom was in the cupboard under the stairs with
only a light bulb holder for power, so, like you I used s Y splitter
and bayonet adaptors for the safelight and enlarger.

Our class went on a geography field trip and me and a friend
exposed a roll of FP3 and HP3 respectively. It occurred to me instead
of making prints as I had intended, I would make transparencies using
s kit that came in a yellow plastic box, and make a tape and slide show
for the class.
A few years ago I caught up with my friend and discovered he still
had the slides and the tape.

http://youtu.be/SSHfTkifHYU

Funnily enough, I did the transparencies for school as we were doing a
lot and it saved money. I didn't buy a kit - just got all the chemicals
(bar developer) from school.