Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
.[_26_] .[_26_] is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On 9/19/2015 10:15 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:26:34 -0500, "." wrote:

It wasn't hobbyists - it was "hack mechanics" who didn't know
anything about emmission controls and defeated them in an attempt to
"solve" problems. - some real and some immagined.

Laughable ignorance. No, what led to cleaner air was unleaded
fuel, catalytic converters, multiport fuel injection and overall
drive train computer management (MAF, MAP, IAT ... sensors,
among others) of HUNDREDS of millions of cars replacing
the archaic Kettering ignition, centrifugal spark advance,
coil choke-manifold vacuum-non linear venturi based
carbureted engines. Sad that you don't seem to know and
understand something that fundamental.

Exactly what are you trying to say??? My reply was to say there were
many instances of people - hobbyists and mechanics alike, screwing
with emmission controls in an attempt to defeat them and get better
mileage and power, and getting (usually) neither.

And as I've stated multiple times now, they comprised an
insignificant component of the problem.

Nowhere did I even suggest any of that had any positive effect on
emmission reductions. What "laighable ignorance" are you talking
about???
Of course it was " unleaded fuel, catalytic converters, multiport fuel
injection and overall drive train computer management (MAF, MAP, IAT
... sensors, among others) of HUNDREDS of millions of cars replacing
the archaic Kettering ignition, centrifugal spark advance, coil
choke-manifold vacuum-non linear venturi based carbureted engines"
that made the difference. Where did I ever suggest otherwize??

Any claim that hobbyists, racers, lack of or incompetent
maintenance or what have you, constituted a noticeable effect
on air quality in general suggests a misreading of the problem.

Or are you saying the emission control inspections were not
instrumental in reducing emmissions?

Evolved and more effective emission controls resulting in
lower emissions? Yes. Less emissions due to inspections?
Of course not in any significant measure.

They WERE for a short period of
time, partly by catching the vehicles that were "screwed with" by
hobbyists and "hack mechanics" - but they have become virtually
redundant today because the sophisticated engine management systems
can pretty well tell you if the vehicle is running within design specs
with a cheap OBD2 code reader - or even your cell phone with the
proper software and OBD2 code reader adapter.

No idea who or what you are since you hide your identity.
I was a carreer proffessional mechanic for years, as well as an
automotive technology instructor at both secondary and post-secondary
(trade) level.

Sad.