Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:52:05 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

I know this group and what a huge can of worms I just opened up, but
we'll see if I can though this with any actual information. :-D

I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well
documented in here that I have been its staunchest defender. So even
though it probably will, I would like this thread to not quickly
escalate into the same, tired, old, rehashed over and over again too
many times already, HF multitool debate. :-)
After probably eight years with the thing, it's still going strong, but
I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons.

1. Noise & Heat. The HF gets so hot you could fry an egg on it. Plus,
it's so fricken loud!!!
2. The new oscillating tools I've seen have a quick release and that's
very appealing to me.
3. I'm hoping the brand name tools actually perform better. After
using the HF for so long, I think I will able to very quickly determine
if this is the case.

So again, this may a be futile request, but I would like opinions about
oscillating tools from those who have actually used them.
I'm looking for quieter, cooler, faster, non-tool blade release, and
probably NOT battery operated, although I might be able to be convinced.

Blade universality isn't that important since most have adapters or
already accept all blades.

LAST THING: I already know Festool is the best and Fein is a close
second. But I don't have six hundred bucks to spend on an oscillating
tool. All the other brands have options under $150, so I'm sticking
with those.

Of course, nothing but Festool! ;-)

Now that we got that out of the way... ;-)
I own a Dremel corded and a Bosch cordless oscillating saw. Of the
two, I use the cordless one at least 10:1 over the corded saw.

I looked at the Fein a year or so ago (they had a demo at Woodcraft)
and was impressed. The price wasn't all that bad, anymore, either. If
I were buying again, I'd probably buy the Fein instead of the Dremmel
but I'd still be using the Bosch ten times as often as the Fein.