Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Miller Tom Miller is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:35:12 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:57:04 -0500, "." wrote:

On 9/19/2015 12:46 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:36:27 -0500, "." wrote:

Passenger car testing of any type has ALWAYS been a scam
and is enacted for generating revenue. Nothing more, nothing
less. "Unsafe" cars have NEVER been a significant proximate
cause of accidents nor does smog testing of these vehicles
lead to measurably cleaner air. These two concerns are best
addressed at time of manufacture.
I will respectfully dissagree - with qualifications.

In the early years of safety checking, at least in Ontario, the
initial passs rate was quite low - and the requirement that a cat pass
a safety check when changing ownership took a LOT of dangerous crap
off the road.

If only there were any documentation to support that claim.

Well, as a mechanic back then, I can assure you I failed a LOT of
dangerous cars, repaired many of them, and scrapped almost as many.

Yet somehow all those dangerous cars had been driving around just fine
for the weeks and months before you and the state forced them off the
road.

Here's a typical article. Note that there is not a shred of EVIDENCE
presented that all these safety inspections do anything to improve
safety. Just the usual lip flapping by the people who rake in the
money.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...r-inspections/

But if you like these safety inspections for cars, how about we
institute mandatory gvt safety inspections of everyone's home. After
all, many people get hurt or killed in their homes every year.
Shouldn't we be mandating that you be forced to allow a gvt approved
inspector to come into your home once a year, paw thru all your stuff
and demand you throw out anything they think is dangerous, fix
anything they think is "substandard and potentially dangerous" and
otherwise conform to the gvt's standard of how a home should be?

And make you pay for the service.