Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

On 9/19/15 4:37 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well
documented in here that I have been its staunchest defender.

I don't know -Mike-, I might give you a good run for you money on
that honor...

So even though it probably will, I would like this thread to not
quickly escalate into the same, tired, old, rehashed over and over
again too many times already, HF multitool debate. :-) After
probably eight years with the thing, it's still going strong, but
I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons.

1. Noise & Heat. The HF gets so hot you could fry an egg on it.
Plus, it's so fricken loud!!! 2. The new oscillating tools I've
seen have a quick release and that's very appealing to me. 3. I'm
hoping the brand name tools actually perform better. After using
the HF for so long, I think I will able to very quickly determine
if this is the case.

My multi-tool (HF) is only a year or two old - I was a later comer to
this tool. I can't speak comparatively to noise and vibration
because I've not used any other brands. What I can speak to is that
mine does not run hot at all. It's a corded model that cost me $15.
Never gets even noticeably warm in my hand. Maybe that's because it
take a ton of heat to make me aware of it, but I just do not notice
any heat in mine. Maybe because it's a much newer model/design?

You get to HF often enough that it might be worth the effort on your
part to pick one up and try it out. You can always return it on your
next trip in, if you don't find the current models to be improved
over yours. At $15, you're not carrying a second mortgage just to
try it out.

Since we moved, I'm about 30 minutes from HF and haven't been there in
1-1/2 years. Even though it's only 30 minutes away, the traffic around
that area makes it seem like a day trip. :-)
But I haven't given up on the idea of getting another 15 buck one just
to have around.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)