Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default making a photography darkroom

In message m,
lid writes
On 19/09/2015 16:54, Chris French wrote:
Eldest daughter (14) is very much getting into photography. Digital of
course, but she likes the idea of having a play with film.

Someone on the local Freecycle was offering a load of darkroom gear,
which I've acquired. And I've rooted out my old film SLR. So now need to
construct some sort of darkroom space.

I would buy her a couple of rolls of film and have them processed
somewhere so she can see how much harder it is than using digital
before investing much.

I'm not planning on investing anything much at the moment

If she likes it then you need a film tank and probably a
thermostatically controlled bath if you go colour film.

Then you will need an enlarger, masking frame, dishes, timer, tongs,
safe light for B&W.

For colour you really want an enlarger with dichroic filters. You can
get away with gelatin filters but its a real pain swapping them and
they do wear out.

Colour is much more critical of temperature control so you probably
need a tank and water bath but I have done it with just a print tank
you roll along the bench.

Its quite hard to actually find the stuff these days, google is pretty
useless from what I have seen.

Actually, it's not that hard to get it free, it's come up our local
freecycles a few times

Read my post Dennis, I've picked up someone's old darkroom stuff. I
don't really now exactly what I've got yet (only picked it up this
morning), but there is an enlarger, trays and other stuff.

I was just asking about suggestions on how to set something up.
--
Chris French