John Siegel

Default Metal Router Table Top

I started with the metal base from a Sears router table - threw away the
cast aluminum top and fence as useless. Put on two rails using heavy
angle iron salvaged from an old bed frame. The top is commercial -
1"MDF with laminate on both sides. No sign of any sag using a large
router in a router lift. Weight was not a consideration. I built
drawers into the base and put the whole thing on a mobile base.
John

Pat Barber wrote:
That's a better choice in my opinion. In fact
several folks in years past have mentioned using
angle iron on the bottom. I suspect the angle
would do just as well as a steel plate.

Two pieces of 3/4" MDF will not start sagging
"right away"...

WoodChuck34 wrote:

Good point on grounding, I wouldn't have thought of that. The other
idea I had is a steel plate with a single layer of MDF on top. I'm
looking to eliminate sagging.

chuck