Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

On 9/18/2015 5:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Ya know, the more you guys speak of, not just Festool, but their
track saw, the more I think I'd benefit with one. Aside, I suppose
I've made my share of snide remarks, jokingly, relating to Festool.

I often use a circular saw and there are times I wish I had something
more convenient for a better job, a better cutting method, more
accuracy, etc., especially with the work at the farm. I can't
conveniently bring a table saw to the farm, and I'm becoming more
convinced the track saw would do wonders for the ongoing work, there.
A circular saw is not always the best saw for applications, there,
and $750 is economical, in all respects, for the farm application.
I'd probably leave it there, permanently.

You're not so far from thoughts that I've had Sonny, but to be honest - I
keep going back to the same thought - can't I get almost the same thing out
of my circular saw and a saw guide (or whatever they call it...). You know
what I mean - the sled you build such that your saw always cuts just like
the Festool jig does - only it does not have the nice dust collection
system. Huge difference in cost though. You can build your own for $10
versus what the retail versions cost - Festool being the top of the heap,
cost wise.

Here's just one of many videos about these homemade jigs...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...808204,00.html

Probably not as sophisticated as the retail versions, but for a lot of us -
it's really all we need. And - it works. It will cut a straight line just
as well as any of the expensive alternatives.

You can absolutely do that Mike and it does work well. Swingman and I
did that countless times with his Makita and a similar guide rail.
The problem is that many saws simply have slack tolerances. The blade
does not always spin in the same plane and you get a relatively
straight cut once you clear away all the tear out, especially if you are
cross cutting plywood. But relative straight is all dependent on
whether the blade moves side to side. This is not absolutely a problem
with all saws but I have seen many older saws that display this problem.
Additionally the Festool saw address the possibility of tear out on the
top of the cut. This is a real problem when cross cutting. The Festool
plunges safely mid panel with out having to lift the saw to start the
cut. And maybe not so important, the Festool saw is stellar with dust
control providing you have a vac and hose connected.
With most any home or shop built track you are going to need a couple of
clamps to hold the track in place. The Festool track stays in place
with out clamps if the surface is not covered with dust.

Now if you are simply cutting material to a workable size what you
suggest is a great way to go. Because Swingman and I sell a majority of
our work the old saying, time is money, kicks in. We found that the
Festool eliminates, in many instances, the need to re-cut the plywood
panels and that along with all the other features I mentioned really
speeds up production.

What Swingman and Nailshooter and I have been indicating over and over
is that a quality tool that was designed for the tradesman, you are
going to get results that you can sell whether you are a cabinet maker
or a fine furniture builder.

If time is important the Festool is going to be a good choice.