Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

On 9/18/2015 4:25 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 4:28:12 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I remember that, mostly because Festool does not charge $1000 for
that saw. The bigger corded one is $750.00 including a 75" track
and systainer case. Bought separately the 75" track is $200 and
the case is north of $70.

I find that when someone exaggerates the price this is not all that
is suspect about their comments.

Either way it is a fine saw and system. With its quality of cut it
very well could replace or put off the need to buy a quality TS for
cutting.

Ya know, the more you guys speak of, not just Festool, but their
track saw, the more I think I'd benefit with one. Aside, I suppose
I've made my share of snide remarks, jokingly, relating to Festool.

We will help yu remove some of the egg from your face when you buy one. ;~)

I often use a circular saw and there are times I wish I had something
more convenient for a better job, a better cutting method, more
accuracy, etc., especially with the work at the farm. I can't
conveniently bring a table saw to the farm, and I'm becoming more
convinced the track saw would do wonders for the ongoing work, there.
A circular saw is not always the best saw for applications, there,
and $750 is economical, in all respects, for the farm application.
I'd probably leave it there, permanently.

Something to consider, the Festool will produce cabinet saw quality
cuts. Do you need that or the accuracy of straight lines? If only the
accuracy of straight lines Grizzly offers a track saw that might be the
answer and take some sting out it being abused.
But if you want top of the line and quality cuts I highly recommend the
Festool.

Let me add a bit of buying strategy. If you are going to be ripping
sheets of 4x8 plywood you are going to also need to purchase an extra
length of track. The TS55 track saw comes with a 55" track, the TS75
track saw comes with a 75" track. To rip an 8' sheet you will need
about 10' of track. The 75" and the 55" tracks give you almost 11',
and you will need to buy 2 rail connectors, $36.

If you buy a TS55 track saw with 55" rail and add the connectors and a
75" rail you are going to pay $640 for the saw, $36 for the connectors
and $200 for the 75" rail, total $875.

If you buy a TS75 track saw with 75" rail and add the connectors and a
55" rail you are going to pay $750 for the saw, $36 for the connectors
and $129 for the 55" rail, total $915.

With the understanding that the TS55 needs an additional 75" rail and
the TS75 needs and additional 55" rail the difference between the two
saw set ups is only $40 more for the bigger TS 75 saw.

Just something to consider if you are thinking one saw over the other
and will need to make 96" or longer cuts.

My only hesitancy is with others not taking good care of the tools,
as I take care of them. If I'm not there to watch over them,
they'll abuse stuff.... *if and when they decide to try to do
something productive, **for a change.

The case that comes with the saw is very good and easy to deal with,
take the saw home with you. OTOH they could be abusing a $1500 TS.

Going a bit further, I recently had to replace my, all plastic, Stanley
saw horses. The picture shows my set up for cutting sheet goods with my
track saw and may be the only true example of something none of us
thought was possible, having too many clamps. I ended up buying a set
of Dewalt saw horses that have steel legs and pretty much plastic every
where else. I think you can figure out the set up which worked well
until one of the plastic legs on the saw horse buckled.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/