Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

Sonny wrote:

Ya know, the more you guys speak of, not just Festool, but their
track saw, the more I think I'd benefit with one. Aside, I suppose
I've made my share of snide remarks, jokingly, relating to Festool.

I often use a circular saw and there are times I wish I had something
more convenient for a better job, a better cutting method, more
accuracy, etc., especially with the work at the farm. I can't
conveniently bring a table saw to the farm, and I'm becoming more
convinced the track saw would do wonders for the ongoing work, there.
A circular saw is not always the best saw for applications, there,
and $750 is economical, in all respects, for the farm application.
I'd probably leave it there, permanently.

You're not so far from thoughts that I've had Sonny, but to be honest - I
keep going back to the same thought - can't I get almost the same thing out
of my circular saw and a saw guide (or whatever they call it...). You know
what I mean - the sled you build such that your saw always cuts just like
the Festool jig does - only it does not have the nice dust collection
system. Huge difference in cost though. You can build your own for $10
versus what the retail versions cost - Festool being the top of the heap,
cost wise.

Here's just one of many videos about these homemade jigs...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...808204,00.html

Probably not as sophisticated as the retail versions, but for a lot of us -
it's really all we need. And - it works. It will cut a straight line just
as well as any of the expensive alternatives.

--

-Mike-