Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 11:51:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:

About 18 years ago I bought a DeWalt 10" miter saw and paid $225 for it.

Just last month, the saw handle broke. The rest of the saw is fine, but the replacement handle is about 25% of the cost of a new saw.

Can you repair or make a new handle? Or want to spend the time trying?

A possible option:
I often try to repair stuff, so just a thought.... Would fiber glass work for the repair? There is fiber glass wrap, for making casts for broken limbs and such. Seems, if your handle is similar to a child's small arm, repairing it may be similar to applying a cast to a child's small arm.... with a splint/metal rod inserted inside the wrapping, if need be?).
https://www.google.com/search?q=orth...w=1280&bih=841

You simply dip the roll in water, to activate it, slightly wringing the excess water out, and wrap, forming whatever contour, etc, to whatever shape you need. It's very easy. You can easily cut it with scissors, to stop and restart any wrapping, if need be.

You may not be able to purchase the rolls directly from a medical supply outlet, but maybe you can. You'd probably have to purchase a box of 10-12, rather than one or two rolls. Maybe your local orthopedist would sell you two 3" rolls. I would suppose 2 rolls would be enough. I see online prices are much lower than med supply outlets. An orthopedist may charge up to 10X the online rate.

Sonny