Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck screws in PTW wood

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:17:42 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| CCA = Chromated Copper Arsenate
| ACQ = Alkaline Copper Quaternary
|
| Both ar Pressure Treated Wood (PTW), the later replacing the former by
| EPA dictate.

Yes. And it's not rated for ground contact!
So there isn't really anything for that now.

| I'm still getting conflicting opinions on which are the best
| fasteners. A retired gen contractor jes voiced his opinion that ring
| shank nails are to be avoided. (sigh) 8|

Does he say why? I get the sense that a lot
of people are just wowed by the latest thing.
It's hard to imagine any reason not to use
ringed, galvanized nails, except for Maggie's
point that screws can be easily taken out for
disassembly.

You can still get CCA wood from a marine contractors supply but the
lumber is only going to be .6 or .8 CCA
The poles are still 2.5 tho.